Monday, May 23, 2011

Chapter 43


43: Kenn and Daniel had worked out a plan to destroy Rend and they knew they could coordinate it with Jeffrey's mission to rescue Sandy.  Kenn took Stratford and left in his car to set his plan in motion.
  Jeffrey decided to take Chadwick, Alexander and Lowe Freq with him to the school.  Daniel was going to travel to the school separately in the red jeep that Chadwick had acquired.  Daniel was the diversion in charge of luring Rend away from the school so that Jeffrey could locate and recover Sandy and bring her to safety.
  "G Bomb."
  "What up, Lowe?"
  "Why do me and Alex need to go?"
  "I need your help, man.  Along the way, we may run into some of the Revenant.  Once we get to the school, we'll bump into Defectors.  We need extra eyes to find my mother once we get there and we need someone to stay with the truck so we can make a fast getaway.  I wouldn't have asked you except for the fact that I trust you.  I know you care about my mom too.  This is a really dangerous mission, but I've known you since we were three years old.  There's no one else I can think of that I would want right there with me.  You're my best friend, man."
  Bill put a hand on Lowe's shoulder.  "Are you familiar with the teachings of Confucius?"
  "A little.  Just what my grandma taught me when I was a kid," replied Lowe quietly.
  "He once said, 'When love is at stake yield not to an army.'  I've known you since you were this tall, Yong.  I remember when Jeffrey got the chicken pox, you still came over every day to play with him and you caught them too. I've always admired the bond you two have."
  Bill turned to his son and put his hands on his shoulders.  "Jeffrey, I want you to know how proud of you I am.  You have turned out to be quite a courageous young man.  Your grandfather would be proud.  One of my father's favorite sayings by Confucius was, 'A heart set on love will do no wrong.'  Since we've been here, I've seen that you have pursued your dreams with all your heart and you seem to be very happy.  In my eyes, that makes you successful in life.  I trust that you will pursue this rescue mission with just as much heart.  You mother needs you.  You will save her."
  Barney walked up to his son and said, "Daniel, you know that Rend will not chase you without the intention of killing you.  This may be a suicide run, son."
  "Yes, I'm prepared for that.  You know, when I was younger, I used to think a lot about the nature of sacrifice.  I mistakenly thought that the more you hate giving something up, the bigger the sacrifice and, therefore, the more it would be appreciated.  I thought about the sacrifice that Jesus made.  I thought he made the ultimate sacrifice because of what he had to give up, but I was wrong.  What he valued more than his own life was the lives of the people who would be saved by the spilling of his blood.  Why?  It comes down to one thing: love.  There is no sacrifice without love and with love, there is no sacrifice too big.  Father, I'm sorry for all I've put you through all these years."
  "Daniel, I am nothing but proud of you at this moment.  I finally have my son back.  I thank God for that."
  "I am honored to know you, Daniel," said Bill with a deep bow.
  "I've done many things in my life that I regret.  There is no amount of good I can do to repay it.  I only pray that I can do enough to help those in need."  Daniel hugged his father, then got into the jeep and drove off to the school.  Jeffrey embraced his father as well, then his group of friends made their way to Bill's black truck which was parked just outside the hotel.  Jeffrey noticed a distinct design in the rust patterns of the truck.
  "Well, I'll be damned.  It's a yin and yang symbol right there in black and rust.  Buddha has spoken.  It's a sign that we will be successful.  There will be a mass pilgrimage of Buddhists to see this miraculous sign."
  "Dude, there's gonna be a mass pilgrimage of Revenant to our asses if we don't get the hell out of here," said Alexander.  With that, they loaded into the truck and drove in the direction of Wolf Cub Elementary School.

No comments:

Post a Comment