Sunday, July 3, 2011

Chapter 2

2: At the Hotel of Wonders, some of the Collective had stayed behind to help organize search parties to comb the city of Marble Cliffs for any survivors.  These rescue groups would be led by newly christened members of the Volunteer Auxiliary Mortified Platoon.  Kenn had asked for a show of hands among the Untaken for who would have what it takes to accept this important responsibility.  A brave man named Sauro Laurentis was the first of the people to volunteer to become a vampire via the bite of one of the Collective.
  His wife, Joi, and her younger brother, Randall, were standing next to him and she tried to pull his hand down.  "Honey, don't you think we should discuss this?  I mean, this is a life changing transformation.  You can't just make a decision that quickly."
  "Sweetie, there are people out there who will die if they don't get help.  We can't just stay here in the safety of the hotel and let them fend for themselves.  I feel as if it's my duty to help them in any way that I can.  Your father was in the army.  He would understand."
  "Yes, my father was a brave man and he died defending our country, but this is different.  You will be dying even before you have a chance to help anyone.  That's what mortified means."
  "Well, I won't stay dead.  I'll be undead."
  "How is that any better?"
  "It will keep me safe from the Revenant.  I'm going to go out there to help the people.  And your brother will be with me.  At least with my increased strength and speed, you won't have to worry about us."
  Joi hung her head.  "I'm still going to worry about you."
  Sauro's expression softened.  He put his hand on her shoulder.  "I know.  And that's why I love you.  And that's why I know you love me."  She nodded and he kissed her on the forehead.  She squeezed her eyes shut and tears trailed down her face as their hands parted.  A female vampire named Azaroth took Sauro into a room to bite him while his wife and brother-in-law waited outside.
  In various rooms, the other vampires: Rymuthis, Zemostra, Lox Myth, Temeron, Marisol, Dimojyn, Repotox, Lume and Mendoron each helped other Untaken volunteers to make the transformation from human to vampire.

No comments:

Post a Comment