Monday, June 6, 2011

Chapter 47

47: While the adrenalin was still wearing off in Kenn's system, something happened which was not a part of the plan.  The water began to ripple in a gentle way as if a breeze was going over it.  Kenn aimed his revolver at it, but Stratford said, "Hold your horses."  Kenn knew to trust Stratford, so he just watched as the water formed up into the shape of a man.
  "Kenn, you weren't gonna shoot your beloved little brother were you?"  It was Damion.
  "Damion!"  Kenn's eyes welled up with tears.  "I can't believe it!  How?  What?!"
  "To be honest, I'm not sure, but I believe it was brotherly love that made me able to take this body once it was not in use anymore by its original occupant."  They clasped each other in a long, heart-felt embrace.  "I've got some more good news for you.  Let's take a walk to the bathroom."  They walked to the back bedroom and into the small bathroom.  "Go ahead, look into the mirror."  Kenn looked and jumped back as if he had been struck by a blow to the face from a baseball bat.  He turned his head from side to side to verify that what he was looking at was indeed his own reflection.
  "That's my face.  How did that?  What is this?"
  "The nearest I can figure is that when Rend killed Daniel, your soul was released from limbo because Daniel was the one who had turned you into a vampire.  You had never killed anyone so you still a soul.  It hadn't gone to Infurnus.  But once Daniel was dead, you had your soul back and were completely free to kill Rend without losing your soul and becoming a full vampire.  And, as I said before, once you had your own soul back, you displaced mine, but I didn't go into the light.  Our bond kept me here on this plane of existence.  At that point, I chose to take over Rend's discarded shell."
  "You know what this means, don't you?" asked Kenn.  "It means I'm going to have to start shaving again."
  Damion flicked his big brother's ear.  "Shut up, dumbass.  Hey, if you don't mind, I'd like to see if Stratford wants to sit on my shoulder."  It took Kenn a moment to respond.
  "What?  Oh yeah, of course.  He's your bird.  I was just taking care of him for you."  Kenn was still admiring his reflection, not really paying attention to anything else.
  A lump formed in Damion's throat because he had waited so many long years for this moment.  "Stratford.  Hey, my good boy.  You want to hang out with daddy?"  He extended his hand toward Kenn's shoulder, inviting Stratford to perch on his outstretched arm.  Stratford scooted onto the offered arm and hopped a few times until he was nestled comfortably on Damion's shoulder.
  Stratford nuzzled Damion's cheek with his beak.  "I love you, daddy," he cawed.
  Damion wept openly and sputtered, "I love you too, my good boy."
  There were other things to attend to so Kenn and Damion gathered Daniel's body and put it in Kenn's trunk.  They got into the car and drove back to the hotel.  There was still much to do before the night was over.

No comments:

Post a Comment