Friday, June 24, 2011

Chapter 52

52: I'm standing at the bottom of a pyramid, looking up.  All around me is sand as far as I can see.  There are no trees.  Nothing at all that would provide any shelter.
  At the top of the pyramid is a royal looking throne made of gold and red velvet.  There is a skeleton sitting in it.  The skeleton is wearing a royal purple robe.
  Since there is nowhere else to go, I start to walk up the steps of the pyramid.  I'm getting closer to the throne.  As I do, I am disgusted as I see my flesh start to deteriorate and fall off my bones.  This will not stop me.  I will continue my ascent.
  At the same time that my flesh is dripping off in huge chunks, I can see that the majestic skeleton in the throne is fading away.  It seems like he will completely disappear soon.  I can already see the details of the throne through his once-solid form.
  By the time I reach top, I am fully skeletonized.  I am now wearing a golden crown and a purple robe.  The skeleton in the throne had disappeared completely.  I then take my place at the throne and sit down.  Now I am the ruler.  Of what, I don't know.
  Looking below, I can see a person is standing at the bottom of the pyramid, looking up at me.  I silently dare him to play King of the Mountain with me.  Bring it on.
  Mina awoke from her dream to find herself safe in her hotel room.  Damion was still sleeping quietly next to her. She sat there, gazing at the ruggedly handsome features on the silent form beside her.  She kissed him softly on the cheek, being careful not to awaken him.  Last night had been magnificent.  There is no limit as to what a liquid body can do.  Mina took some comfort in knowing that the Collective were, basically, a living pool of water. She had always imagined the Other Side to be like that.  In the room's bathroom, Stratford sat, perched on the shower curtain rod, sleeping.  Pretty soon everyone would be waking up.
  Mina sighed because today was the day that the new vampire army could engage the zombie army in mortal conflict.  She felt hungry.  Is this how the Revenant feel?  That deep, gnawing hunger for human flesh?  Shudder.  She looked outside her window at the sunrise.  Arizona sunrises had a magical serenity about them that she loved almost as much as the spectacular sunsets.  She could tell just by looking at the dew on the grass that it was a little chilly out.  That was something she had noticed over the years.  It's always coldest right after sunrise.

No comments:

Post a Comment