Sunday, February 13, 2011

Chapter 15

15: Mina turned to Kenn and shared something that had been plaguing her mind since she first noticed it.  "Hey, Kenn.  Why do you spell your name with two n's?"
  "Well, as you know, Kenn is short for Kenneth.  I just always thought it sounded like something from the Bible.  You know, 'Whosoever kenneth unto me, kenneth as unto the Lord.'  No one talks that way anymore so I dropped the E-T-H from the end and was left with Kenn.  There is a madness to my method," he said with a lopsided grin.
  Mina laughed.  "I'm sorry I asked.  There's been something else that's been bugging me.  I'm not sure if it means anything other than I'm tired, frazzled and really confused.  When I saw Sandy on the TV, she had a red glow around her.  I thought it was just car lights or something.  I didn't pay too much attention to it at the time."
  "I don't remember anything like that," was Kenn's reply.  His eyebrows flew upward as he shrugged.
  "Anyway, I saw that same red glow around every one of the Defectors.  Well, not the ones in line to get into the copper mill, but the ones guarding who had bandages on their hands.  That can't be a coincidence.  What do you think it means?  I mean, please don't tell me you couldn't see it.  I'm too young to go nuts."
  Kenn chuckled a bit at that.  "I don't think you're nuts, but unfortunately again, I didn't see any kind of glow around anyone at the copper mill.  Maybe you're sensitive to spirits like Stratford here is."
  "I don't think so.  I've never noticed anything that ever made me believe in ghosts or spirits."  She paused for a moment and seemed to remember something.  "Sensitive to spirits.  I've heard that animals tend to be able to see things most people can't.  Is that how Stratford is able to tell you things he couldn't possibly know?"
  "Yes.  He's really my brother's parrot."
  "Oh, you have a brother?  Where does he...does he live with you?"
  "He was killed years ago.  His name is Damion.  Anyway, since he died, I've been taking care of Stratford."
  "Oh, that is so sweet of you.  I'm so sorry about your brother.  Were you close with him?"
  Kenn's eyes clouded over and he remained silent for a while trying to concentrate on driving.  Finally he regained enough of his composure to speak again.  "Yes, we were very close.  My mother always used to say, 'Two eggs fried in the same pan are hard to keep apart.'  I've never told anyone this, but since he died, we've been closer than ever."
  "I wish I had met Damion before he died.  He sounds like a good guy."
  "In a way, you already have met him."  Mina just looked at Kenn waiting for the other shoe to drop.  "You see, it is Damion's spirit who finds his voice through Stratford here."

No comments:

Post a Comment