Friday, February 25, 2011

Chapter 18

18: Once everyone was inside, the doors were barricaded shut.  The crowd was still exasperated by the display in the parking lot.  They gathered around the battle-wearied duo.  Barney turned first to Kenn.  "How do you know this guy here?"
  Kenn was breathing hard, but it wasn't just from his recent exertion.  He was in a heightened emotional state.  The crowd looked at him expectantly.  Finally he breathed a deep sigh and said, "This man killed my brother, Damion and injured me in a fight that we had years ago."
  Barney wanted badly to separate Kenn from Daniel, but still had some very important issues to discuss.  Next, he turned to Daniel.  He asked the question that was on everyone's mind.  "Are you a Defector?"
  Daniel was not as winded as Kenn and was just as calm as you please.  "You know I'm not a Defector, father."  There was a collective gasp from the crowd at this revelation.
  "Mr. Abbot, you're this fucker's dad?!" yelled Mina.
  Barney Abbot hung his head and took a deep breath.  "Yes, this is my son."  Nobody could believe this.  Everyone knew Barney from the commercials for Marble Cliffs Today.  No one knew he had a son.
  "This man is the Good Friday Killer.  He's a fucking serial murderer.  I've been searching for him for years.  How could you be related to him?" asked a flabbergasted Kenn.
  "I too have been trying to find him for years.  I knew I had to stop him, but he was always a step ahead of me," said a defeated looking Barney.
  "I know how you feel.  After he had killed Damion, he came to me and I didn't know what he had done.  I trusted him and he betrayed me."  Kenn pulled his left hand hard to his lap, yanking at the cuff maliciously and causing Daniel to stumble momentarily.
  "Yes, I have had a very dark past, but everything is different now," interjected Daniel.
  "Different because you got the chip?" asked Jeffrey, voicing the question that still had not been answered to the satisfaction of the crowd.
  "He didn't get any chip.  He's a fucking vampire!" yelled Kenn.  The crowd moved back at least another five feet.
  "But we saw you match him slug for slug out there," someone from the crowd pointed out.  Several heads nodded.
  Mina stepped in on Kenn's behalf.  "Kenn's not a vampire.  He has a reflection.  I've seen it."
  "Look!" shouted a frightened young girl in a frilly blue dress, pointing at a huge mirror in front of the hotel elevators.  Everyone looked at the place where the two men were sitting.  They saw Kenn, but there was no reflection of Daniel.

No comments:

Post a Comment