Monday, April 4, 2011

Chapter 29

29: While everyone was having a good time, a knock suddenly came at one of the large windows of the restaurant.  The room went silent and all attention honed in on the source of the sound.  There was a man outside.
  "It may be one of the Defectors," warned Barney.
  "He doesn't have the red aura," said Daniel.
  Mina looked at the man knocking on the glass and agreed with Daniel.  "He's right.  That man out there may need our help.  We should at least question him.  If we need to, we can always cuff him for our safety."  Gene and Barney went to the closest door and let the man in.  Carrionette cuffed him.  He was out of breath as if he had been running for quite a while.
  Most people were stuffed to the gills by the time the strange man showed up so they gathered around in the restaurant to hear his story.  Barney sat and let him catch his breath.  "I must say, you startled me when you knocked.  Who are you and what are you doing here?"
  "My name is Chadwick Johnson.  I was with the Defectors, but I got the hell out of there.  The leader is a man called Rend.  He's a Nocent, which is an alien race from the planet Sypraxia.  He's made of water.  I've seen it.  He can turn into water or he can look like anyone or anything he wants to.  He implanted these chips into people's hands, but they started to get sick.  He called the disease the Scathing.  He said it was a Sypraxian virus.  I think those people died.  But they didn't stay dead.  When they started coming back to life, he called them the Revenant.  He said he's not in control of them and he's not sure how the Scathing spreads.  The Revenant are a danger to him and to you.  He was going to leave the mill for a safer place.  I high tailed it out of that damn copper mill and found a bicycle which I rode here because I heard you guys had come here."

No comments:

Post a Comment