Friday, April 29, 2011

Chapter 36

36: After the excitement of the moment passed, Barney told Daniel, "You've got quite an acumen for vacuuming.  How did you know to do that?"
  Jeff rejoined the group when he couldn't see Chadwick out the window anymore.  He was a little out of breath and put his hand on Alex's shoulder for support.  "What's up with that Chadwick guy?  Where the hell did that mother fucker run off to?"
  Alexander scratched his head.  "Am I my mother fucker's keeper?  How should I know where he went?"
  "Not you," Jeffrey retorted.  "I was asking Daniel.  What's the deal?  Is he going back to the Defectors?"  Everyone was intensely interested to know the answers to Barney and Jeffrey's questions.
  Daniel sat on a table, winded from the encounter.  "Ever since Chadwick said that Rend is at large, I've been halfway expecting Rend to try to break into the hotel at some point.  I just wasn't sure how he would do it.  Chadwick and I came up with a plan for what to do in case of an attack.  This morning the faucet in my bathroom wasn't working.  Immediately, I heard Mina scream in the next room and I knew it had to be him.  Kenn had the wet vac ready in his room down the hall.  Once I put Rend outside, I had Chadwick follow Rend so we can find out where the Defectors are staying.  We might need that information at some time."
  "I hope we can trust Chadwick.  The timing of the attack seems like too much of a coincidence to me.  That was a close one.  You saved my life, Daniel," gasped Mina who was still in shock from the trauma of the attack.  Someone brought her a glass of water.  Not quite trusting water just yet, she hesitated a moment before accepting it.
  "It is my honor to help in whatever way I can.  And about Chadwick, I'm a very good judge of character.  I feel entirely confident that we can trust him.  I think there's a specific reason that Rend grabbed you.  It must have to do with your green aura.  He might need you for some unknown purpose.  I had a feeling he wouldn't harm you.  There's some reason he needs you alive.  I don't know what it is, but it may have something to do with that name he called himself when I entered the room."
  "I noticed that too.  Was that some sort of foreign word?" asked Kenn.
  "He said he was Yulomyn.  That is the name of an Ithodynian dark spirit in Sypraxian theology.  The spiritual entity of ours which most resembles your Lucifer is called Ithodyn.  In our language, 'ith' means light, 'od' means bring, and 'yn' is a suffix denoting a person who does something.  So, literally, Ithodyn is a light bringer.  Kinda similar to Prometheus or Lucifer, which, coincidentally, also translates to bringer of light.  Anyway, Yulomyn is supposed to be one of his most loyal minions.  'Yul' means death, and 'om' means make.  Yulomyn is the death maker. Think of him as our version of the grim reaper.  I believe that Rend is possessed by Yulomyn.
  "You see, Rend hasn't always been one of the Nocent.  Years ago, back home on Sypraxia, he was a Collective scientist.  He betrayed us and went to follow the Nocent.  His betrayal is why we had imprisoned him.  He was even given a Syproid gland by the Nocent, which is why he has a red aura instead of a green one like the Collective.  He'll probably try to get in again some time.  We should be on the lookout.  Did you notice he was dressed like a fisherman?  That must have been the first human he encountered when he climbed out of the lake.  He can take any form so we must be vigilant."

No comments:

Post a Comment