Friday, April 22, 2011

Chapter 34

34: I'm in my old house in Tucson again.  There's no one else in here.  There never were.  I was a latchkey kid. The place is actually well lit for once.  But of course, everything can't just be hunky dorey.  I spent the first 18 years of my life here with no real happy memories.  My dreams are no different.  Every corner is a potential hiding place for malicious forces.
  What will be wrong this time?  The floor feels solid.  Good, I hated that dream where it felt as if I was trying to run through mud.  There was also the one where I fell through the floor into the basement which was full of skeletons.  What else could it be?  I don't see any strange shadows.  There's no evil laughter.  Ah, now I see.  Every object in the house can move.  Yes, they move very slowly, but I can see definite movement.  Hm, and it looks like they're moving to get closer to me.  Boy, that's creepy.  New means unknown.  Unknown means dangerous because I don't know what's coming and how it can hurt me.  Bring it on.  Do your worst.
  Mr. Renard's badminton trophies are bending toward me from the fireplace mantle.  Mrs. Renard's angel figurines are reaching out to me.  Nothing is safe.  Even kitchen items are crawling on the floor toward me.  That's just weird.  Everything is my enemy in this place.  I wonder what they'd do if they reached me?  Maybe I don't want to know.  Shit, I give up.
  My palms are sweaty with the anticipation of the pain to come.  I don't even have to try any of the doors to know I will not be able to escape this.  I can hear my pulse.  These objects seem harmless now, but if I'm not careful, I know they can deal me some hurt.  My childhood toys are in on the action too.  Pleasant memories with these toys can't save me now.  I'm safe from nothing.  Everything is a threat to me.  This entire house is a death trap.
  Mina awoke in her hotel room on the 13th floor.  The sun had not yet risen, but she was relieved to be out of that dream.  She took a deep breath in and held it for five seconds before letting it out.  Then, suddenly in the dark of early morning a pair of hands grabbed her around her waist with a mercilessly strong grip.

No comments:

Post a Comment