Friday, March 11, 2011

Chapter 22

22: After the shock of watching Kenn's reflection move independently of his body, people were left with only one obvious conclusion.  "So you are a vampire," said Barney.  It wasn't a question.
  "I've kept myself from becoming a full vampire because I have never killed a human being.  I never consume human blood.  I've lived on the blood of pigs, sheep and cows.  I can also eat human foods, but I don't gain any nutrition from it.  It just tastes good.  Anyway, because I've chosen to stay as human as possible, I still have a soul, it's just in limbo.  It hasn't gone to Infurnus where the souls of full vampires go.  Infurnus is a planet whose surface is completely made of molten magma.  On Earth, it is normally referred to as Hell.
  "When Damion's spirit started talking to me through Stratford, I was glad to know we were still able to talk to each other.  I noticed that I could see his apparition in reflections.  I did a little research and found out that many people have claimed to see ghosts in mirrors and other reflective surfaces.  I, myself, had lost my reflection when Daniel bit me.  It took a while, but I finally came up with an idea that might benefit both Damion and me.  I wanted to find the man who killed Damion so I became a detective.  I needed to be able to gain the trust of people who could aid me in my search.  I knew that no one would trust me if they knew I was a vampire so I asked Damion to use my body kind of like a suit when I go out in public.  I sometimes affectionately call him my Enantiomorph.  That's just a big word meaning 'opposite image'.
  "Of course, he doesn't always stay me.  When I'm at home, Damion goes out in search of dark spirits.  He often comes back with leads and communicates with me through Stratford and then I go and follow up on his leads.  We have developed a system that works for both of us."
  Many in the crowd were touched by the story of brotherly love and how even death couldn't keep the two apart.  "So you've never killed anyone?" asked Barney.
  "No, I only assist in the arrest of people who have done harm to my fellow humans.  I put them in jail, not Hell.  And all the while, I keep my eye out for the man who killed my brother."
  "Whoa, wait a second.  So this whole mirror thing could only work for a little while.  I mean, as you two age, you'll start to look more and more different, right?  Won't people notice?  What happens then?" asked Jeffrey.
  "Well, you've got to take into account the fact that Damion's a ghost.  He's not going to age.  I am a vampire.  I, too, will not age.  Win-win situation, or whatever you want to call it."
  "Hijo de la puta, you're right," exclaimed Jeffrey.
  "Dude, there's like, kids here," interjected Lowe Freq.
  "Oh, sorry.  I meant, golly gee willikers!" corrected Jeffrey.  Lowe shrugged his shoulders.
  Bill believed Kenn's story and turned to the crowd.  "I think we can uncuff Kenn now."  Everyone nodded their consent and Barney went to unlock the handcuff from around Kenn's wrist.  He then pulled Daniel's hands around his back and fastened his hands together behind him.  "Thanks, Barney.  It's pretty late and we don't know what tomorrow will bring.  I say we should lock Daniel up somewhere and get some rest.  There will be plenty of time to question him further elsewhen."
  Gene stepped forward and said, "I think we can lock him in the wine cellar for the night and he should be fine until morning and we can figure out what to do with him, as you say, elsewhen."

No comments:

Post a Comment