Monday, March 14, 2011

Chapter 23

23: I'm laying there in bed and my eyelids are getting heavy.  I begin to nod off but each time I doze away I feel a sudden sensation of sinking into my mattress.  At the same time as my eyes shut, the world around me seems to glow a fiery red and I can feel an intense heat from below me.  My eyes snap open and I'm still in bed, but again when I close my eyes, I sink into the bed.  This time, when I don't open my eyes, I start to hear the screaming of a thousand tortured souls while I see the flames and feel the blistery scorch.  Disturbingly enough, I do not feel afraid.  I'm enjoying this.  I'm in a world of fire and brimstone and I'm loving it because I know when I open my eyes, I'll be comfortable laying in my bed safely at home.  I've got a trial membership on Hell.
  Mina awoke with a start and had to look around her to remember that she was not, in fact, safe in her apartment. She was on the 13th floor of the Hotel of Wonders.  The memories of the previous night came back to her like a returning tide.  Not Hell, but close enough.  She was in a hotel room at an amusement park, but she was anything but amused.  She was just as anxious to find out more about this mysterious Daniel Reese.  Maybe he wasn't a Defector, but is a vampire any better, that is, if they even exist?  And why did he have a green glow?  Did that have anything to do with the red glow of the Defectors?
  She went downstairs to the lobby.  Despite the lavish banquets available at the Hotel of Wonders, no one seemed to be hungry so they all congregated at the door to the wine cellar.  He was in the far corner snoring like a diesel engine.  "If he really is a vampire, he could be sleeping all the way until dusk or whatever," observed Alexander Graham Taco.
  "Well, we don't have all day," said Barney who then went to shake his son awake.  To everyone's surprise, he woke right up.  With the cuffs on, he was unable to get into a sitting position unassisted.  Barney helped him up and asked, "Do you need to stay away from the sun?"  Daniel shook his head and walked up the cellar stairs.
  "Hopefully my story will help you all understand that I no longer need to fear the sun."  Everyone made their way to the hotel lobby where there was the most room to gather.
  "So, dazzle us with this amazing story that's supposed to knock my socks off," said Barney.
  Daniel looked at his father with a hurt look more filled with sorrow than anything.  "Well, to begin with, I know that I have a green aura which I'm sure only Mina and that parrot can see."  All eyes went straight to Mina and Kenn's bird, Stratford.

No comments:

Post a Comment