Friday, March 18, 2011

Chapter 24

24: Every eye in the crowd was focused solely on Mina and the bird.  Stratford ruffled his feathers while perched on Kenn's shoulder and said, "Yeah, so?  Mina has a green glow too."  No one saw a green glow around Mina or Daniel so they looked to Mina for any signs of comprehension.
  "It's true.  I saw that green glow around him last night.  I only told Kenn, though.  There's no way he would know that I could see it.  I didn't tell anyone else."
  Kenn put a comforting hand on her shoulder.  "I didn't tell him.  But Stratford said that you have the same green glow.  What does that mean?  Are you a vampire?  If so, how come I don't have the glow?"
  "No, I'm not a vampire.  I don't know why I have this green glow.  I've been able to see it since I can remember, but my foster parents never paid any attention to me when I would talk about it.  Eventually I just stopped thinking about it and ignored it.  No one else I've ever seen has it so I just never put my mind to it for years now.  Daniel's the first person who's seen it.
  "Wraawk!  Me too, me too!" shouted Stratford.  There were a few nervous chuckles from the crowd.
  "Yes, you too, my little friend," said Kenn.  "So, what does this mean?"
  "Well, this green aura, or glow as you call it, means that Mina and I have a connection to the Collective, which is an alien race from Sypraxia."  No one knew what to think about that.
  "You mean she's a Defector?" asked Carrionette.
  "No.  The Defectors are under the influence of the Nocent.  You see, human beings aren't the only species who have distinct races.  The intelligent Sypraxian species is made up of both the Nocent and the Collective.  The Nocent have a red aura."
  Barney had his arms crossed in front of his chest.  "But you're my son.  You're not from some distant planet.  And Mina sure as hell ain't no alien.  She's a reporter.  She works for me."
  "The Collective have been coming to Earth for millenia to study us.  I was on the shore of Marble Cliffs Lake when I saw a strange craft crash land into it.  I saw a green glow in the water.  It was dark out so I could see it bright as day.  I wasn't afraid because it filled me with warm feelings of love and compassion that I haven't felt in what seems like forever.  Vampires don't have a soul so this green glow was able to fill me completely.  The green glow was the spirits of the Collective.  I am now like Stratford with Damion.  I am the voice of the Collective.  I tell you, it takes a lot of darkness to blind you, but only a little light to help you see."

No comments:

Post a Comment